USSF Coaching Courses
US Soccer Coaches Certification Courses
The following is an overview of the US Soccer coaching education programs and the curriculum offered.
"A" License Course
Length: 9 Days
- The development and understanding of team play and specific tactical concepts applied to a game plan, i.e. low pressure defending, counter-attack, pressing, etc.
- Ability to construct an appropriate training session and coach within an 11 v 11 format.
- Understanding of team-related issues, i.e. player management, match analysis, etc.
"B" License Course
Length: 9 Days
- The development of training that provides greater meaning to positional play with the team functional training.
- Improved understanding of the roles of players and their responsibilities with the game.
- Development of collective play within the various lines of play, i.e. back line, midfield line or forward line, as applied to tactics and concepts of play.
"C" License Course
Length: 9 Days
- The emphasis of the course will continue to be on the development of individual skill taught within individual and small group activities and games (4 v 4 to 7 v 7).
- The understanding and development of tactics through 4 v 4 to 9 v 9 games.
- The ability to observe mistakes and make appropriate correction.
"D" License Course Manual
Length: 36 hours
- Methods of Coaching, Team Management & Administration, Tactics I, Tactics II, Match Analysis, Laws of the Game, and Care and Prevention of Injuries
- Coaching Small Sided Games, Dribbling, Passing, Receiving and Turning, Heading and Crossing, Finishing, Fitness with the Ball, Goalkeeping, Possession, Defending and Attacking.
The D License is the highest level license that the state offers. In order to maintain consistency in the delivery and execution of the course the objectives, expectations, and grading for the "D" License course have been established. At the conclusion of the course the candidate will receive a National "D", a State "D" or a fail. The candidate must at least 18 years of age.
"E" Certification Course Manual
Length: 18 hours
- Methods of Coaching, Team Management, Tactics, Laws of the Game, and Care and Prevention of Injuries.
- Dribbling, Passing, Receiving, Shooting, Heading, Goalkeeping, Defending, and Attacking.
The "E" Certificate is designed for the parent/coach who may or may not have any previous soccer playing or coaching experience. The curriculum focuses on the development of the player, both individually and as part of the team. The emphasis will be to build on the player’s technical development by applying tactical concepts within a team environment. The candidate must 16 years of age or older.
"F" Module Courses
Length: The Youth modules are broken down into two separate age-specific classes of 6 hours each; U6-U8, and U8-U10. Field and classroom work are both involved.
- Philosophy of Coaching, Characteristics of Players, Team Administration, Risk Management, Care and Prevention of Injuries and Modified Laws of the Game.
- Age Appropriate Field Activities and Progressions.
For more information on VYSA hosted Coaching Courses (USSF "D", USSF "E" certificate and USSF "F" modules), contact Virginia Youth Soccer Association at 703-494-0030 or www.vysa.com